Critical Red Flags to Avoid When Starting (or Growing) a Nonprofit
Welcome to the December Nonprofit Series! Dr. Beverly Browning will be my co-host throughout the entire month!
In this podcast, we go over the Red Flags that we have both seen time and time again when it comes to nonprofits starting or growing.
Some issues include:
- Not having a board of directors
- Having a family-only run board
- Thinking the millions of dollars of grants will start rolling in the minute you file paperwork
- Starting a Sole Corp instead of a 501(c)3
- Thinking you can pay a grant writer with the commission of an awarded grant
- Not having a conflict of interest policy
We discuss all of these and more!
Dr. Beverly A. Browning has been consulting in the areas of grant writing, RFP responses, technical writing, and organizational development for over four decades. She has assisted clients and workshop participants throughout the United States in receiving awards of more than $500 million. Dr. Browning is the author of 43 grant-related publications, including six editions (over 1 million books sold) of Grant Writing For Dummies™ (Wiley.com). She is also an international trainer and keynote speaker. In 2015, she was selected by the Centers for Disease Control NICRD division to conduct a five-day Grant Writing Boot Camp in South Africa for ministers of health and other top-level health directors from 23 African countries.
Dr. Browning holds graduate and post-graduate degrees in Organizational Development, Public Administration, and Business Administration. She has been a grant writing course developer and online facilitator for Cengage Learning (www.ed2go.com) for 17 years. Her online courses (taught to thousands of students annually) are Advanced Proposal Writing, Becoming a Grant Writing Consultant, and A to Z Grant Writing: Part 2 – Beyond the Basics.
Dr. Browning is Founder and Director of the Grant Writing Training Foundation and CEO for Bev Browning, LLC. She was a 17-year member of the Grant Professionals Association (GPA) and has presented training workshops and keynote presentations for multiple GPA chapters U.S.-wide. In 2017, Dr. Browning joined the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) and was a workshop presenter at their 2018 International conference in New Orleans. She is an approved trainer for GPA and CFRE International.
Dr. Browning has been married 53 years to John and has one daughter, Lara, a licensed therapist, and a special needs granddaughter, Aaliyah.
Connect with Beverly:
To find out more about Dr. Bev, check out http://bevbrowning.com/
Or find her on LinkedIn where she facilitates a group at https://www.linkedin.com/in/bevbrowning/
- Check out Episode #108: Freelance Grant Writing Wisdom with Dr. Beverly Browning. Click here.
- Check out Episode #118: Freelance Grant Writer Panel: Grant Writing During COVID-19. Click here.
- Check out Episode #119: BONUS Freelance Grant Writer Panel: Grant Writing During COVID-19 Q&A. Click here.
Watch the full interview on Avoiding Nonprofit Red Flags: