This is your chance to hear from someone who is 6 months into their grant writing business. Where could you be 6 months from now?
Derrick and I discuss:
- Motto – “Resolve to have an impact on your community.”
- Derrick’s military experience
- His “why” for getting into grant writing and how he got started
- Business started as a side hustle and is now full-time
- “Writing a grant is like writing a research paper and a business plan together.”
- How to use your experiences to develop a niche
- Offering free services or volunteering to build relationships
- Moving from free services to getting paid
- Overcoming the difficult conversations associated with getting paid
- Challenges of owning a grant writing business
- Hiring freelancers or interns to help you with your business
- Being prepared for upcoming grants
- Different pitches you can use to make connections and build even more relationships
- Additional services you can offer in your business
Derrick Clark, M.A. Human Services Leadership, owner of DC Resolve Consulting and Proposal Writing. He is an Army Veteran who served 8 years as a combat medic with the 101st Airborne Division, current spouse of an Army Environmental Science Officer. He transitioned from active duty service nearly 5 years ago, completed undergraduate and graduate degrees to begin working with veteran service organizations ranging from homeless veteran and substance abuse case manager to managing regional veteran benefits programs.
Derrick recently moved to Honolulu, HI and started a business that provides consulting and proposal/grant writing services to nonprofit organizations. Currently, he works with San Antonio veteran nonprofits writing state grants, local foundation proposals, social media marketing and creating event flyers. Also, he recently began building a relationship with the Prevent Suicide Hawaii Task Force to find out what needs they have.
Connect with Derrick
You can connect with Derrick through his website www.dcresolve.com, via email at [email protected], or on Facebook @DCResolveConsulting.
Watch the full interview with Derrick!