#143: 5 Most Popular Grant Writing Questions
Oh yes. Those pesky grant writing qualms.
Here are the top questions that I get.
#1: How Do You Get Funding From Grants for General Operating Expenses?
You can get funding for general operating expenses through 3 ways:
- Pursue specific grants that target general operating
- Include a certain percentage of your general operating expenses within the direct categories of a grant project budget
- Include up to 10% of the grant amount in the indirect category in a grant budget
#2: As a non-US grant seeker, is there funding available?
Yes! There is absolutely funding available! You can get that through the following:
- There are certain U.S. federal grants that give specifically to nonprofits (both U.S. organizations based abroad and to non-U.S. nonprofits)
- Certain foundations give out money to nonprofits around the world (think Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation)
- There are many international funding sources, such as EU organizations, UN organizations, foundations, Canadian funding, etc.
#3: Do you recommend college courses for beginning grant writers?
That depends. If you are in college already and want to get college credit toward a degree this could be great. However, if you are not in college nor seeking a degree, then I would recommend taking a grant writing course offered by a grant writer that is in the field.
Such as my 6-Week Live Grant Writing Course or DIY Grant Writing Course *wink-wink*
But the fact is these courses can cost way less and take less time, but give you the real tips of how grant writers are actually winning grants!
#4: What’s the best approach when a foundation states they don’t accept unsolicited applications?
Develop a relationship. A way to side-step the gatekeeper is to go on LinkedIn and start a relationship with decision-makers at the foundations. But remember – don’t go in blazing asking for money right away. Spend time liking their posts and making comments. Start sharing things with them that they may find interesting. And make sure they are a good fit. Does their mission statement align with your nonprofit’s mission?
#5: I am a freelance grant writer and my nonprofit client does not know how to guide me. What questions should I ask to get information?
Ooh, I love this one. So first off you need to:
- Give them a list requesting certain documents
Then have a Kick-off Grant Writing Meeting
- Include the Executive Director, Bookkeeper, Grant Coordinator, and possibly an expert
- Write down the deadlines and tasks for everyone
Want to listen to the entire podcast with way more examples? Click above on the podcast link :)
To sum up, the 5 Most Popular Grant Writing Questions are:
- How Do You Get Funding From Grants for General Operating Expenses?
- As a non-US grant seeker, is there funding available?
- Do you recommend college courses for beginning grant writers?
- What’s the best approach when a foundation states they don’t accept unsolicited applications?
- I am a freelance grant writer and my nonprofit client does not know how to guide me. What questions should I ask to get information?