Simple Tips to Increase Donor Giving on Your Nonprofit’s Website
Are you looking for tips to increase donor giving on your nonprofit’s website?
You might be frustrated because you finally went through the work of installing a donate button and connected it to your nonprofit’s PayPal account, but you are getting nada.
Why aren’t donors giving?
Your website is up.
The donor button is up.
But still… no transactions.
Ugh. It makes you want to crawl under your desk with a box of Kleenex.
You might think, “Do people even care about my nonprofit?”
The fact is, that plenty of people probably care about your nonprofit and the mission it provides. But have a think. Just think about all the times you have donated (or tried to donate) to nonprofit’s online.
Have you ever been on a website where you hit the ‘donate’ button and it brought you to a 404 Error Page? Or maybe your baby started crying in the background and the nonprofit was requesting a survey for you to fill out before you gave so you just hit the X button and closed out the page?
There are a lot of reasons that people might not become donors online. Most of them aren’t because they don’t care about your nonprofit (so throw that tissue away). A lot of times it is because of the friction to actually become a donor.
This friction is usually the cause of something other than a lack of wanting to give. It is usually due to technical errors. To help overcome this (and lots more), Brady Josephson from the NextAfter Institute is on the Grant Writing & Funding podcast!
In this week’s podcast, Brady Josephson from NextAfter Institute will this and more including:
- Online Donor Friction Worksheet
- Donor Giving overall was up 2 -10% in the United States in 2020
- 2020 was the Biggest Year in Online Giving (up at least 30%) in the history of the world
- Transition to investing in technology for nonprofits
- Digital fundraising ideas
- Important to remember when online marketing “You are not your donor”
- Why email marketing and nurturing should be more frequent than once a month
- Why you should do both online and offline donor updates (emails, social media, phone calls, direct mail)
About Brady Josephson
Brady is the Managing Director of the NextAfter Institute where he performs original research, develops evidence-based resources, and provides data-driven training to help organizations raise more money online to fund their life-changing work.
A charity nerd, adjunct professor, and international speaker, his thoughts have been featured in The Huffington Post, NPR, and The Chronicle of Philanthropy among others. He was the lead researcher and author of The Canadian Online Fundraising Scorecard, The State of Nonprofit Donation Pages, and The State of Nonprofit Email Cultivation. Brady is also a host of The Generosity Freakshow — a podcast discussing how we can improve, optimize, and grow giving.
He lives just outside Dallas, Texas with his wife, Liz, son, Hendrix, and dog, Melly.
Connect with Brady Josephson
Related Links to This Episode:
- Episode #120: Ways to Embrace Online Fundraising with Brady Josephson. Click here.
- Episode #163: 5 Proven Steps to Actually Find the Best-Fit Federal Grants. Click here.
- Episode #158: 3 Tactics You Didn’t Know to Become a Nonprofit Executive Director Ninja. Click here.
- Episode #147: Critical Red Flags to Avoid When Starting or Growing a Nonprofit. Click here.
- Episode #122: Nonprofits Who Get Tech Savvy Earn More with Jenni Hargrove. Click here.
Watch the YouTube Video
From Grant Writing & Funding
To help out the show and Enter the To Win a Free Book!
Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help, and I read all of them!
Click here for all the info on how by listening to the podcast you can win a free book!
To learn more and increase your skills:
Click here to check out Holly’s Signature Courses
To pick Holly’s brain:
Click here to book your 1:1 Call with Holly